Poll

Best Studio Ghibli movie?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Polls

What is your favorite snowy day activity?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Girl’s cross country advance two to sectionals

Alexis+Pacholski%2C+senior%2C+finishes+a+strenuous+race+at+regionals.++
Allyson Botzum
Alexis Pacholski, senior, finishes a strenuous race at regionals.

Cross country runners Hannah Kilday, senior, and Bridget Kemp, junior, advance to sectionals this saturday after a good run in regionals.
“I really want to go to state. I’ve gotten better and so have many people on the team. Seeing everybody’s improvements has motivated me to continuously get better,” Kilday said.
Kilday broke the girls’ cross country school record at the Lake’s invitation, running 18:21 in a three-mile race. The record was held by Grace Laurens in 2011 where she ran a three mile in 18:50.
Kilday said she is a very dedicated and driven athlete who always strives to improve, and her goal is to break 18 minutes by the end of the season.
Kilday said she has had a momentous year from running 19:50s last year to 18:20s this year.
She has brought many athletes with her showing others can do it as well.
Bridget Kemp, junior and multi-sport athlete, said one of her proudest moments of this year has been breaking 20 minutes in a race at Peoria.
“Something that has motivated me was the idea of the team succeeding as a whole,” Kemp said.
The coaches are incredibly supportive, which the girls feel is something that helps make such a positive impact during the season, said Kemp.
“I like the feeling of being involved and doing stuff after school, and it keeps me busy,” Kemp said. “I would definitely recommend being involved in sports.”
Brianna Mosinski, senior on the varsity team, said the coaches motivate her through the talks they have before a race, and the lessons they learn at practices helps with motivation.
“We have Kaizen on the back of our shirts, it’s a Japanese saying meaning continental improvement, and that’s how we always describe our work ethic,” Mosinski said.
Jeffery Purdum and Kyle Draghi, coaches of the girls’ and boys’ cross-country teams, say this year the team is a bit stronger compared to previous years.
“I think when you have goals for them to aim for, they are driven by it, and when you set an example of how to approach it with a team they find ways to embrace them,” Draghi said.
“We changed our training plan and focused more on distance at a slower pace,” Purdum said, “Every chance to race is a chance to improve as a program.”
As the team works on improving skills, they also work on improving the team chemistry.
“A team bond is important, and you want to have a team that enjoys each other’s company,” Purdom said. “You may remember a few competitions, but you will remember the bus rides and memories with your friends.”
Along with chemistry, the team focused on continuing improving run times and skills.
“I don’t think there is anything I would change about this year, we stick with the moto to continuously improve because it’s really driven the team. We don’t need to do anything special, and that’s what I love about this sport; anyone can do it and anyone can improve if you believe in yourself and the team,” Draghi said.
Purdum’s advice to his team is that it’s ok to be nervous or worried and have grand expectations. It may not go great, but caring about outcomes and having goals is important.
“You’re putting yourself out there and it’s ok to not succeed,” Purdum said.