Poll

Best Studio Ghibli movie?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Polls

What are you most excited about for Homecoming week?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Dance dominates comp season

Mark Cruz
The dance team preforms their routine at state after practicing hard the entire comp season.

The girls dance team ended a strong comp season, placing 25th at state.
“My team and I made the goal of going to state, and we achieved that goal by putting in lots of hard work,” Bricia Gutierrez, senior, said.
The team worked hard all season; whether it was working on certain skills or choreographers as a whole, the team was determined to reach their goals.
“Some goals that we have set this year was to beat a score of 80 and beat some of the teams we haven’t been able to beat in the past. We were able to achieve that by our hard work,” Emma Backstrom, junior, said.
The team specializes in working as a group, choreographies and team moral were all supported by each player, which really helped them improve.
“This dance was choreographed by the coaches, with the helping hands and input from team members. You could say we collaboratively did it all together” assistant coach Kaitlyn Polakavic said.
Each dancer and coach aimed for improvement this season, working on perfecting dances and certain skills allowed the team to grow significantly.
“This team has improved on making corrections so they’re all clean and in sync when dancing. It’s hard to trust your coaches sometimes but this team listens to what we say and makes the changes. Their synchronization was one of my favorite parts of the dance,” Head coach, Becca Vickers said.
The season was definitely a rollercoaster, with lots of changes in choreography and formation. Yet the team preserved and ended up placing 5th at sectionals, which advanced the team to state where they placed 25th.
“The most challenging part was definitely the middle of our season. We often had girls in and out of the dance and always had to make quick adjustments of formations and the dance. Every team member worked really hard and still continues to work hard to make the best adjustments,” Madelyn Sabella, senior, said.
The team was ecstatic to go to state since it was one of the things they hoped to achieve this season.
“We had two major team goals: make it to state and get a team quad. As you know, we made it to state and had an amazing time. We also did manage a team quad for a few competitions, but could definitely keep growing in that goal,” Vickers said.