Poll

Best New York Times game?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Polls

What is your favorite homecoming tradition?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Boys volleyball practices skills as season continues

The boys volleyball team is spiking their way into the season. They head into Thursday’s game with a record of 1-5.
With only five returning varsity players out of 13 students on the team, the season is open to further development of skills and cooperation.
“Our biggest strength is the blend of players that we have. We have a lot of talented young men who can play different positions on the floor. We have a good mix of returning varsity players who know how this level flows, mixed with a large group of younger players who have developed an amazing chemistry from playing together for the last three years.” Robert Richardson, head coach said “It’s truly one of the most talented groups I’ve seen come through the school in a while. I’m excited to see how far they can go this year.”
Returning varsity players are enthusiastic to leave their legacy and be role models for the younger players this season.
“I look forward to being a role model for underclassmen, and playing for Central one last time.” Drayden Sanford, senior, said.
The team is preparing for upcoming games and expects to do well this season.
“The season just started but we’ve been working hard in practice and we are all ready to get into some games and I think we will do really well this year.” Christian Haug, senior, said.
Coach Richardson is looking forward to further developing player’s skills and continuing to grow bonds with the team. He is glad to see the time and effort start to pay off as the team grows their talents.
“In terms of what I’m looking forward to most, it’s the same as every season. Each year it’s a new opportunity to develop players and learn who they are as athletes as well as people. Coaching gives me the opportunity to work with kids that are not in my classes” Richardson, said “It is a great feeling seeing kids who have been coming to summer camps for years finally be at the high school level and then being able to help develop them as players. It’s been a long road building this program back up, but we are starting to see a lot of the time and effort pay off with a number of younger talented players.”
The team is implementing the improvements they made last year this season to help them improve their chances of winning against better opposing teams.
“Last season, I definitely think that us taking practices more seriously made a huge difference in our play. This year I hope that we can become more well rounded so we can have a solid chance against the better teams.” Milo Nelson, sophomore, said.
Team members are not only focusing on their efforts towards the team, but also staying out of their heads while playing.
“The mental aspect of the game affected us most last year. Now with more focus I think we will improve our competitive spirit.” Sanford, senior, said.
Ethan Ricketts, senior, is currently out because of an injury and is hoping to be back by April to help the team after a tough loss from their last match.
“Right now the season is on a rough loss from our previous match but I’m hoping to be back and healthy by April due to an injury. Hopefully we can turn things around.” Ricketts said.