Poll

Best Studio Ghibli movie?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Polls

What is your favorite type of candy?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Girls badminton aims to build on success

Tiffany+Radaker%2C+senior%2C+smashes+down+the+birdie+at+a+practice.+
Talia Gregoles
Tiffany Radaker, senior, smashes down the birdie at a practice.

The badminton team is preparing to hit off a successful season. Having made great progress last year, the girls hope to make conference and state, while improving their overall performance.
“We have a good group of people that are on varsity this year. I’m looking forward to see what they can do,” coach Ryan Wilhelmi said. “We want to get a doubles team to state.”
Several team members are looking forward to beginning or continuing varsity and have goals to qualify for state this season.
“A huge goal would be to make it to state but I think the most important goal for me is to have a successful season, have fun, and get the best last season I can have,” Tiffany Radaker, senior varsity player, said.
Like playing any other sport, badminton comes with its challenges. The girls are working hard to prepare for any obstacles that might head their way.
“The biggest challenge is not knowing what to expect. In badminton it’s important to be prepared for anything,” Radaker said.
Players also feel a lot of pressure while playing, and it can lead to self doubt.
“The biggest challenge I face while playing is not giving up and letting my mistakes get to me. I doubt myself and how good I play,” Jenny Oceguera ,junior varsity player, said.
Badminton can be risky with every play. It can be tricky deciding what to do in the moment.
“The hardest part is taking risks because it can cost a game,” Ruth Laskowski, junior varsity player, said.
Communication and understanding partners can be a big struggle while playing doubles.
“The biggest challenge in badminton is definitely communication because you usually play with a partner,” Wren Fergunson, senior varsity player, said. “So during a game you have to be verbal with each other and know how the other person plays in order to best work together and win.”
Badminton brings challenges, but also great relationships with teammates and coaches. Being on the team allows players to meet so many people while growing skills with the sport.
“My favorite thing about playing badminton is all the friends and relationships I’ve built. You build a huge community and it’s nice to meet new people,” Radaker said.
The team will have their first game on March 13. They will be competing against Carl Samburg.