Poll

Best Studio Ghibli movie?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Polls

What is your favorite sandwich place?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Boys bowling team strikes their way into state

Chari Rahn
Jacob Chavez, senior, prepares to bowl during an intense game.

The boys bowling team ended the season with a winning record of 9-2 and advanced one bowler, Jacob Chavez to the state championship which took place on Jan. 25 and 26.
“I was very impressed with our record this year; we only lost to two other schools and we got second place at the conference,” head boys bowling coach Nicole Jensik said.
This season has been one of the best that the team had, and it was filled with highlights
“I cannot just pick one highlight because every member did so well this season, they all had a big part in our accomplishments”, Vincent Catron, junior, said.
“The team played strong and never gave up without a fight. I am proud of every one of them for their achievements this season, and I am glad that I have been able to lead them these last four years”, team captain Jacob Chavez said.
Each game, win or lose, was a learning lesson for the team. They made sure that they took note of each play during games.
“We’ve definitely had our off days and days where we did not bowl the greatest, but we’ve always made sure to practice what we could not master previously in order to prepare for the next match.
The team’s skills aren’t the only thing of note, as the team’s bond has allowed them to pick each other up and become greater than the sum of their parts.
“The team has great chemistry; when one of them isn’t doing the best, there is always someone else who will make up the difference. They are very supportive of each other, and I think that makes the team great” Jensik said. “We’re great at communication, and we always raise each other up” junior Eduardo Martinez said.”
The team has improved tremendously on their mental side of their sport and keeping their minds ready for the challenges ahead.
“This year they’ve really improved on their confidence, they don’t get as down on themselves as they used to,” Jensik said.
The team knows that mental s aspects of the sport are just as important as skill levels themselves are
“I have improved my self-confidence and mental fortitude, which you need here as bowling is mostly mental strength,” Chavez said.
The team supports each other through thick and thin, cheering each other on is a must for the whole team.
“Our last conference match of the season when I threw the last ball and I was able to turn around and see everyone behind me cheering me on. I am happy I can call them family” Chavez said.
The next season will certainly challenge the remaining players as the entire senior varsity team will graduate.
“My goal for next year is for the juniors to step up and keep that momentum going from this season. That’s probably going to be our biggest challenge for the upcoming year is to get our juniors used to being on Varsity,” Jensik said.