Poll

Best Studio Ghibli movie?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Polls

Are you going back to in-person learning for fourth quarter?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Battle of the Books to begin at high school level

Brooke Plowman
Rebecca Cameron, senior, prepares for the upcoming battle.

Battle of the Books (BOB) will be taking place for the first time at Plainfield Central in March of this year.
“I’ve wanted to do this for awhile, so I finally ripped the bandaid off and sent the first email to students about BOB happening. The response was positive, so it motivated me even more,” Lisa Marcum, librarian, said.
It was a hard process to start, as Marcum did not know how BOB would be received by the school community, both students and staff. She has gained a lot of support for the program though, and is very happy with how it is turning out.
“I had a goal of 12-16 teams and we now have 26. The response has been overwhelming and it’s great to be able to see how excited students are,” Marcum said.
Students of all grade levels are participating in the March Madness style battles, with 3-5 students per team. After the first round, prizes will be given for advancing. Overall, students are excited to be involved in the battle.
“I enjoyed BOB with my friends last year; it helped me get more comfortable reading outside of school,” Ariana Archer, freshman, said.
For many students like Archer, BOB was a loved event in elementary and middle school. There are students who want to get involved with it because it reminds them of their past school years.
“I wanted to relive the excitement that I felt for BOB during elementary and middle school. Even though it’s not a long time ago, it feels so nostalgic,” Anthony Tamayo, senior, said.
Not only is it nostalgic, but students also said that it appeals to their competitive spirit. Delilah Carrillo, junior, said she is excited to be involved at the school doing something she loves.
“I’m most excited for that nerve-racking and intense feeling when in rounds,” Carrillo said.
Battle of the Books has become a way for students to get back into reading, or expand their friend group of readers.
“I love reading and it’s a way to connect with people who also love reading,” Grace Newberry, sophomore, said.
Many students said that they found the process of joining BOB easy and information has been very easily accessible through email and Google Classroom. Tamayo said that he is impressed with the organization of this event.
“The whole process has been fairly straightforward and easy. Ms. Marcum has done an exceptional job bringing BOB to PCHS,” Tamayo said.
As Marcum and the participants prepare for Battle of the Books, Marcum is confident the turnout will be positive, and is hoping to bring the program to other Plainfield high schools next year.
“The more people hear about the competition and how much involvement there is, the more support I receive,” Marcum said.