Poll

Best Studio Ghibli movie?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Polls

When is it acceptable to begin celebrating the Christmas season?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

‘The Color Purple’ shines light on women’s hardships

“The Color Purple” is a beautiful empowering movie directed by Blitz Bazawule and Marcus Gardley.
This musical remake of the 1985 movie is based on the 1982 novel by Alice Walker. The plot focuses on Celie(Fantasia Barrino), a young girl who gets married off and separated from her sister and children. As years go by we watch Celie grow older and face many hardships in life as well as grow a sisterhood with women she meets throughout the movie who have also gone through hardships like her. They grow a support system and an unbreakable bond while also growing stronger every day.
Although the storyline is focused on Celie’s messed up life, it feels like her life story is rushed at times, and even overlooked in some parts. I would have liked for the storyline to go more in depth about Celie’s father Alphonso and why he gave her children away.
Celie says “I been wondering, if God love me why he take my babies? And why he taking my Nettie?” Celie’s father has been raping her and when she gets pregnant her father makes her carry the baby until she gives birth and when the baby is born Celie is forced to give her baby to her father who then gives the baby to couples who cannot have children of their own. However, at first Celie suspected that her father murdered her child.
As I cannot comment on the similarities between the original and the newer version, I can say that the latest version can sometimes be distracting as the characters burst out dancing and singing at random times. Yes, that’s what makes it a musical; however, the timing feels off. I do like that the songs are inspiring to women and can be catchy at times.
Harpo’s wife and Celie’s friend Sofia(Danielle Brooks) was the shining star in this film. Whenever she came on her smile lit up the whole screen. Her performance was inspiring and powerful. The character Sofia was perfect for her; it seems as if she did not have to get in character because that’s how she really is.
Shug Avery(Taraji P. Henson) worked hard to present Shug’s character even though she had to fight to get the role and a salary that matched her worth. Henson has been an influence for black women around the world. She has acted in multiple popular movies and shows one of the most popular being ‘Hidden Figures’. She should have been nominated for an Oscar.
Barrino did well as Celie despite being more of a singer and not an actress. When Celie finally realizes her potential, she dominates the screen.
Although the women in this film face multiple complications in their life that does not stop them from creating a beautiful sisterhood and building budding romances.
Directors, producers, and the cast all worked together to turn this dark, depressing story to a light, beautiful musical.
Despite a few gaps in the story, mis songs, due to the beautiful cinematography, amazing performances, and the solid direction I give ‘The Color Purple’ 4 out of 5.
I would recommend this movie to anyone who is interested in musicals.