Poll

Best Studio Ghibli movie?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Polls

If a vaccine for COVID-19 was produced would you take it?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Breaking news: Senior Owen Lopykinski wins annual Mr. Pomcat fundraiser

Brooke Plowman
Six contestants competed for the title (from left to right): Senior Owen Lopykinski, senior Grant Kearney, junior Nick Rees, junior Evan Klein, senior Anthony Tamayo, senior Adnan Sabanovic

Owen Lopykinski, senior contestant, won the annual Mr. Pomcat dance team fundraiser on Feb. 22.
“I was really nervous about doing Mr. Pomcat, but everyone was extremely supportive,” Lopykinski said.
The competition was hosted by the dance team to raise money for anything they might need next season. They had a few sponsors that donated for a raffle and a cake pop/cookie sale.
“The dance team did a great job organizing this together, and I am proud of how all six contestants performed in each of the categories,” Draghi said.
The competition consisted of six contestants that are judged in three categories: Model walk, questioning, and a performance of their choosing. The three judges this year were Heather Loperena, Kaitlyn Polakovic, and Kyle Draghi.
“I speak for myself and the other two judges when I say it was a lot of fun for us to watch,” Draghi said.
The contestants this year all chose to sing, with the exception of Lopykinski, who chose to dance. Grant Kearney, senior contestant, was runner-up to Lopykinski, and performed his rendition of “Higher” by Creed.
“Competing in Mr. Pomcat was extremely fun and a great way to make a memory with my friends and fellow students,” Kearney said, “This helped me get out and try something new with some other really cool people.”
Evan Klein, junior contestant, said that Mr. Pomcat was one of his “most memorable moments of high school” and even though he forgot the lyrics to his song, he still had a lot of fun.
“None of us felt pressured or overwhelmed by the competition, but it was mostly nerves because of the crowd,” Adnan Sabanovic, senior contestant, said.
Anthony Tamayo, senior contestant, said that he is glad he was able to compete before he graduated. Even though seniors do not have the chance to compete again, junior contestants said they will be returning next year for their last competition.
“It was a great experience, and I can’t wait to do it again next year,” Nick Rees, junior contestant, said.