Two girl wrestlers head to state, one returns as champion!

Photo by Abby Timm

Sophomore Alicia Tucker uses a takedown against her Kaneland High School opponent at Plainfield Central on Saturday, Dec. 10.

Holly Winiars and Hailey Fay

Alicia Tucker, sophomore has become the first ever girls wresting state champion.

Two athletes, Tucker and Courtni Chuway, junior, advanced to state for girls’ wrestling. This is the first time that the girls’ wrestling team has gone to state in the two years since it was founded, and the first season that girls had their own division. 

Tucker has been wrestling for about five years and is passionate about pursuing wrestling as a future career. She recently wrestled in a big tournament in Fargo, North Dakota where it proves difficult to make the team.   

“I recently learned how to do this move called a stack, and it’s been one of my favorites,” Tucker said. Chuway, however, sticks to basics, as this is her first year wrestling for the school after an injury to her right wing in her back. Michael Kubski, wrestling coach and wellness teacher, said that wrestling teaches students both individual and team skill sets.

“The girls are eager to learn,” Marc Miller, wrestling official, said. “They have a different mentality than the boys wrestlers. You just sense the excitement from the girls having their own competition just against girls instead of having to wrestle boys.”  Throughout the year, the girls have used their unique mindsets to strengthen both their bonds and their muscles. 

“After the matches that I officiate, the girls will be like ‘oh my gosh, you’re so strong’ and a guy would never say that to another guy. It’s good to see; it’s good sportsmanship,” Miller said. “The kind of stuff you never think you would see in the sport of wrestling – there’s a lot of friendship and comradery that’s been formed between the girls.” 

The school is excited for these wrestlers and want to see them do well.

“They’ve been working very hard and have been doing a lot of good work over the year. I’m proud to see how all their work has led to this moment. We’re bringing home the championship for Courtni and Tucker,” Michael Whitt, biology and US history co-teacher, said.