Poll

Best Studio Ghibli movie?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Polls

How do you celebrate Easter?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Madrigals takes audience back to Renaissance times

Brooke Plowman
The Madrigal singers rehearse before opening night.

The school’s musical arts programs are putting on a Renaissance concert known as Madrigals on Dec. 15 and 16, and everyone’s invited. 

Students have been working since August to prepare this show, with Madrigal singers practicing twice a week, and the Madrigal Ladies practicing for an hour and a half each week. Audition music was given at the end of the previous school year, and singers are expected to learn much of the music on their own. 

“I practice quite a bit, even if it’s just in the hallway trying to remember words,” madrigal singer Mitchell Countryman, sophomore, said. 

A large crowd is expected, since this is the 45th year of Madrigals in the school. Choir Director Nathan Rancatore has been managing the concert for eight years. Rancatore has been choosing all of the songs and begins researching them in June. 

“I’m always one to keep them on their toes,” Rancatore said. 

The concert is open to the public, and Rancatore recommends students attend the concert as well. 

The Madrigals recorder ensemble plays along with the choir. Recorders were a very popular instrument in Renaissance times, which is why they are part of the concert now. Recorder player Andrew Jenson, junior, enjoys performing because it creates good memories. 

“It really gets you into the Christmas spirit,” Jenson said. 

Jenson enjoys the chosen songs, his favorite being the French song Il Est Ne. He enjoys playing the recorder, referring to it as a “Fun instrument” and saying he has a “passion for playing recorder.” 

Another major part of madrigals is the brass ensemble. Michael Kazak, junior trumpet player, explained that the brass ensemble is most likely a part of madrigals in order to balance out the sound. Kazak enjoys performing in the madrigals concert because the brass ensemble plays in a part of the auditorium called the rafters, which is a space above the auditorium. The brass ensemble is heard and not seen during the concert. 

“It’s a showcase for the musical arts portion of the school,” Kazak said. 

Another major part of madrigals is the costumes. The singers dress up in Renaissance-style costumes when they sing and act as if they are nobles or royalty. 

“It’s fun to just dress up and pretend to be of high society while singing fun songs,”  Countryman said. 

“I love the costumes with all my heart. It’s just so cool getting to be so dramatic, and the costumes are so pretty,” Sabrina Rodriguez, senior, said.  

Some of the songs are traditional, while others are newer. Rancatore, Countryman, and Rodriguez all commented on the song Good King Kong. Rodriguez and Countryman have both said that it’s their favorite song in this concert.