Hockey team strives for improvement

Jackson Heritage, Staff Writer

After a successful start to the season with a 5-0 record for JV Red, and a 1-5 record for JV white, the Plainfield Hockey Organization is optimistic about the opportunities laid out for both of the teams.
“I believe that we could have a chance at winning our division; I know the team will be successful because of the work we put in,” Connor Trankina, sophomore, said.
The team has had difficulties during the past few seasons but expects growth to come from a new roster and the players’ drive to compete. The club has two junior varsity teams this year, White and Red, which is an increase over last season’s single team.
“We want to get back to playing competitive hockey. We have talented kids on the teams,” Greg Adzia, assistant coach for the junior varsity White team, said.
The rise in player count could bring strength in numbers, as well as a higher level of teamwork.
“I like my teammates because they are some of the best guys I’ve met. Their work ethic and desire to win is through the roof, and we are really close off the ice,” Ian Betkis, Red team captain and Plainfield East senior, said.
Both teams are excited to prove their worth against the rest of the high school brackets. Players and coaches can count on each other’s high level of commitment and drive to succeed, which can be achieved through hard work both on and off the ice.
“My end goal is for the players to move up and play for the top team,” Matt Cuda, head coach of junior varsity White, said. Some ways players can achieve this goal are working hard in practice, committing to off-ice workouts, and lastly working on improving specific skills that his or her position utilizes.” Players must also never give up on winning the game, according to Mike Figus, junior varsity Red head coach.
Success will not come without its fair share of challenges, according to Adzia. Hockey itself suffers from the limited amount of time available for practice and development due to the expense of ice time, which can impede skill growth.
“Unlike most sports that practice after school every day, ice time is hard to come by,” said Adzia.
The teams are confident that they will be able to overcome this challenge based on this year’s sheer number of skilled players.
“We have a lot of really good players and leading us are powerful upperclassmen,” Zach Figus, freshman, said.
Their next game is on Nov. 10, at Canlan Ice Sports in Romeoville.

Jackson Heritage, Staff Writer

I am a junior and this is my first year on staff of the Fielder.