Poll

Best Studio Ghibli movie?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Polls

How should our school handle homework?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

‘Talk to me’ does not stir conversation

“Talk to Me,” a new horror movie released on July 28, is a thrilling film directed by Danny and Michael Philippou. The plot focuses on a group of acquaintances who discover how to speak to spirits using a hand.
They get hooked on it until one of them takes it too far and ends up releasing a supernatural spirit. The acquaintances are forced to choose who to trust: each other or spirits.
Jade(Alexandra Jensen) falls in with a group and starts going to their parties with her younger brother Riley (Joe Bird) and friend Mia (Sophia Wilde), which is where they discover the hand.
The hand used in the movie is like an updated version of the ouija board. There are multiple movies out there about teenagers using ouija boards and spirits following them after; the only difference about this movie is the hand being used.
However, Jensen’s acting was terrific and she acted out the aspect of betrayal by her own friend perfectly, and I hope to see her star in more films.
Mia, who recently lost her mom, has an awkward relationship with her dad and spends most of her time at Jade and Riley’s house. Wilde is a rising star and recently starred in 2020-23 movies and series such as “The Portable Door”, “Eden”, and “You Don’t Know Me”. Her acting was terrific and gave me a feeling as if I was in the movie.
Riley tries to fit in and seem cool around his friend Duckett. Bird’s acting was also convincing and thrilling to watch.
The movie has few jump scares but focuses more on the trust aspect as spirits try to get into Mia’s head by making her do crazy things her friends could never imagine her doing; however there are some nostalgic moments when Mia uses the hand to talk to spirits.
Overall, I would recommend this movie to people who love horror movies such as “Evil Dead Rise” or “Insidious. There was very little promotion for the movie; I only saw maybe one or two ads about it. In spite of the solid acting, due to the unoriginal plot, I give this movie three out of five stars.