Seniors awarded at Honors Night

Rilee Bergstrom, Staff Writer

Everything in all four years of high school has come to this. After hard work, dedication, and ambition, it is time to receive recognition for the grit students displayed throughout their academic career. Honors Night, held in the auditorium on May 10, is a time where students receive recognition for their academic excellence.

“Honors Night is one of the best events of the year, so there is plenty to be excited about. Having said that, I love seeing the large number of students who have pushed themselves to excellence,” Chris Chlebek, principal, said. “I couldn’t be more proud of them, and it provides me with tremendous hope for the future.”

Honors Night doesn’t stop at scholarly awards; participation in sports, clubs, and outside organizations are also included in the presentation.

“For me, staying motivated in and out of school by setting small goals for each day and holding true to those goals has built a strong work ethic that has helped me become an honors student,” Elise Minott, senior, said.

The most prestigious award in the ceremony is the ‘Presidential Gold’, followed by the ‘Presidential Silver’ award. 

“The Presidential Gold award is for students who maintain a 4.5 GPA or higher, as well as an SAT score of 1280 or higher,” Alyson Singer, student counselor, said. “The Presidential Silver award is when a student has either one of those qualifications.”

There are other awards handed out for classes such as journalism, and examples of these include NISPA and IHSA awards. 

“It feels good to be recognized for our accomplishments and work,” the Fielder’s senior staff collectively said.

Students are given a letter of invitation prior to the event, so they know they will be recognized in their academics for something, though they aren’t told which award until the ceremony takes place.  

“I feel very thankful and excited to be recognized for my achievements,” Elena Carasel, senior, said. “It has taken a lot of work and dedication to get to where I am, plus a lot of focus.”

Honors Night remains as a continued tradition at school for students to be awarded for their academics.  

“I hope the night provides the opportunity for students to come together to share and celebrate the common commitment to both learn and grow,” Chlebek said.