Poll

Best Studio Ghibli movie?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Polls

What are your two favorite parts of homecoming?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Be-YOU-ty project promotes positivity

BeYOUty Project is an event held in April dedicated to empowering female-identifying students and promoting self-love. The organization’s BeYOUty Bash will be held April 27 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.

The event started in 2013 at Plainfield North and was adopted by the school six years ago by recommendation from the Plainfield Junior Women’s Club. 

After our first few events, participants wanted to continue to get together,” Christina Florence, sponsor, said. “We started a BeYOUty Bash where we would open up time for the girls to come hang out and do activities together.”

Elected senior mentors work in pairs to create positive, motivational activities for the BeYOUty Bash. They spend the year coming up with a central theme for the event and base their activities around it.

The stations are geared towards self-affirmation, positive body image, and more.

We feel that these issues are prevalent in modern society and especially in our school,” Florence said. “To combat this, we want to hold an event that promotes what we feel true beauty is: being yourself.”

In addition to providing confidence to female students, the organization also allows for its participants to bond.

“I’m a quiet person,” Aliyah Deshazer, senior, said. “Because of the people in this club, I’m able to be myself.”

Contrary to prior years, BeYOUty Project will be free to attend.

The BeYOUty Project and its members plan to continue their self-affirming endeavors in the future and seek to bring confidence to all students. 

“For insecure or struggling students, I would recommend finding a community to be involved in,” Kaitlyn Vidmar, junior, said. “You need to have people in your corner so that you can lift each other up.”