Poll

Best New York Times game?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Polls

What is your favorite season?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Students, teacher shave heads for St. Baldrick’s

Junior+Aidan+Petersen+and+senior+Jayke+Abarca+get+their+heads+shaved+to+support+St.+Baldrick%E2%80%99s.+
John Prieboy
Junior Aidan Petersen and senior Jayke Abarca get their heads shaved to support St. Baldrick’s.

The annual St. Baldrick’s fundraiser raised 3185.30 dollars, as 11 participants shaved their heads on March 15 to raise awareness.
“It’s important to raise awareness and inspire other people to do the same so that cancer patients do not feel alone,” Ubaldo Rodriguez, junior, said.
St. Baldrick’s was founded in 1999 to promote childhood cancer and to spread awareness, challenging people to shave their heads for the cause.
According to the official St. Baldrick’s website, “Commitment to shave for the cause raises more than funds and awareness — it shows kids who lost their hair during treatment that you support them.”
A former student introduced the idea to the school and it has since become a yearly event. Students who volunteered to shave their heads could create a profile on the St. Baldrick’s website to connect with friends and family and show their involvement.
Students and staff who have participated in the event also plan to participate in following years. Some, such as Kimberlie Mattern, math teacher, have shaved their head in the past.
“I want to be remembered as someone who was always willing to pitch in and help whether it is setting up and cleaning up for an event or raising awareness for a cause like cancer research through allowing myself to be vulnerable,” Mattern said. “My hair will grow back.”
For students who are unwilling to shave their entire heads but still want to cut their hair, other options exist to raise awareness.
“Students who are willing to donate 12 inches of hair can donate to Locks of Love, which creates wigs for children who have lost their hair due to chemotherapy,” John Prieboy, PE and health teacher, said.
Hair cutting is not the only way for students and staff to contribute to the cause; over the course of the three weeks leading to the shaving event, they could donate any loose change to the cup in their third period classroom.