Black and White dance continues tradition

Students+celebrate+at+the+Black+and+White+Dance+on+Feb.+22%2C+2020%2C+the+last+time+it+was+held.+

Maddy Veghts

Students celebrate at the Black and White Dance on Feb. 22, 2020, the last time it was held.

Joe DeFano, Video Editor

The Black and White dance is on Feb. 25 from 6 – 9 p.m. Doors close at 7 p.m., and tickets will cost $10.
“We haven’t had a black-and-white dance in a while, and I’m excited to bring back an event that the school enjoys,” senior student council president Skylar Stanich said.
Students can purchase tickets on gofan, which will go on sale from Jan. 30 to Feb. 3.
“After the success of homecoming, I think the turnout for the black and white will be high (about 800 kids) because we have a strong community,” senior student council social media director Grace Marcherd said.
This dance is a turnabout dance in contrast to homecoming; the girl asks the guy out to the dance.
“Similar to three years ago, this dance will be a turnabout dance, so other than the seniors, the rest of the school has never had a Black-and-White dance.
The Black and White dance is exclusive to Plainfield central.
“Most other winter dances are not that successful other than ours, and we hope the turnout will be the same as past years,” student council sponsor Jacklyn De Leon said.
The success of the dance is credited to the social media presence of the student council members.
“Like homecoming, we posted on our social media like Twitter and Instagram to get the word out. I think that posting on our social media is more effective than flyers,” Marcherd said.
The theme of the dance is formal black and white, and a DJ will be provided.
“Last year, we set up everything ourselves, and the black and white dance is student-led. We are excited about this year’s turnout,” Stanich said.