Pereiro well-prepared for football season

Xitlaly Viveros, The Fielder Friday Editor

Offensive coordinator and AP/general psychology teacher, Jon Pereiro, was promoted to head coach of the football team in January. He is very excited and has high expectations for this year’s football season.

“The opportunities for our program are amazing,” Pereiro said. “There’s a lot of upside to where we can go.”

Pereiro has had a great deal of experience in the field. He played football all four years in high school, then later played division one football at Miami –Ohio- University, and eventually transferred and continued playing for three years at Loras College in Dubuque, Iowa.

He was captain of the high school team, a 2-year captain at Loras and has been coaching since he graduated college.

“I’ve seen what our program can be,” Pereiro said. “I know our kids, I know the people that are in the building, I know the support that we have, and I truly believe in what this program can be, and that is a championship program in the state of Illinois.”

Pereiro appreciates the support of the community and student body.

“I think it’s amazing seeing our super fan stands packed at every single game,” Pereiro said.

A very powerful statement within the football program is to be “1 and 0.”

“We are looking at that thing that is directly in front of us,” Pereiro said.

Since Pereiro has taken over, he has seen the kids “really get engaged and involved.”

“We needed a mentality shift in the team, and that’s exactly what Pereiro brought to us,” Nick Prah, senior, said.

“He knows how to push us but not over work us,” Cody Lister, senior. said. “He’s a great coach.”

Peirero expects his players to not only be active on the field but active in the Plainfield community as well, by having them do community service hours.

Pereiro said, “We believe that attitude and effort will always lead to success.”