Poll

Best Studio Ghibli movie?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Polls

Who do you think will win the Superbowl?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

‘Harvey’ rabbit hops to stage next weekend

Nick Rees
Students rehearse for the fall play, “Harvey” that opens next Friday, Nov. 3.

A six foot, three-and-one-half inch tall rabbit will be joining the fall play. His name is Harvey and he’s hopping into the auditorium on Nov 3.The play is a comedy about Elwood P. Dowd and his imaginary giant rabbit friend after being committed to a sanitarium.

“The directors choose the play this year, we had the students pick between 3:

Arsenic and Old Lace, Harvey, and The Show that went Wrong,” Trish Stoner, crew director, said.

As the play is not well-known some people involved are worried that it will not attract as many viewers; however, some enjoy doing lesser known shows. 

“I like the idea of the play being ‘underground’. It allows me to make my own choices and create my interpretation of the character instead of imitating someone else’s performance,” Elizabeth Boekeloo, senior, who plays Myrtle May Simmons, said.

Tech week was moved up a week this year so as to not conflict with another school’s play; so  it falls on Halloween, lasting until 9:30 p.m.

“Most people in the theater would refer to tech week as ‘hell week’,” Boekeloo said.

Many students are not happy about the change. However some like Grace Kemoski, senior, and the crew’s costume chief are more indifferent. 

“It doesn’t really affect me that much,” she said. And it seems others agreed with her. 

“I would much rather spend my day making memories with the cast and working to make the show better,” Boekeloo said.

Layla Forrest, senior, plays “the rude, sassy, flirty niece of the crazy guy.”. She believes the play will be great this year. ”Our tech crew is killing it as always. Of course there are a lot of bumps, but overall this is going to be a good show,” Forrest said.

The actors aren’t the only ones working hard on the play. 

“We have a crew: costumes, lights, sounds, props, and construction, all run by our crew chiefs,” Stoner said. “The kids are so excited about everything.”

In all the actors and crew workers are very dedicated to and in love with the theater department. “I’ve found my people through the play,” Lauren Zigmant, junior crew construction chief said.

“It’s a beautiful moment when everything we’ve been working towards finally comes together,” Forrest said.