Generation Z stands apart from earlier generations

Back to Article
Back to Article

Stephanie Wallace, Staff Writer

From a scientific term of “flake of snow, typically displaying delicate sixfold symmetry” to a societal term for an “overly sensitive or easily offended person, or one who believes they are entitled to special treatment,” the term snowflake has evolved to criticize younger generations. After the Baby Boomer generation, everyone seems to be clumped together. However, there are four other generations after the year 1964. In order they are: Generation X, Millennials, Generation Z, and Generation Alpha (who is the youngest, being born in 2013 or later) according to Mentalfloss.com. When talking about the over sensitivity of the current generations, both older and younger generations alike seem to fail to realize that not all generations act the same way.

When you spot the modern “snowflake,” they are normally a 37-year-old suburban white woman named Karen who is either an extreme feminist, a hardcore republican, or an aggressive liberal. Karen in this situation has three kids and is a stay-at-home mom who has nothing better to do than post pictures of her kids on Instagram and upload vegan recipes on her blog. One day Karen sees a post on Facebook that offends her. She must avenge herself. She must share her side of a story that more than likely has nothing to do with her. Karen is part of Generation X.

Or, take Jennifer who is 25 and fresh out of college. She believes that her psychology degree qualifies her to add her point of view in just about every debate possible. Of course, this will have to wait until after her weekly yoga session followed by recording a makeup tutorial for her upstart YouTube channel that needs a GoFundMe page to stay active for some reason. Suddenly Jennifer sees an article about whales and her whole worlds falls apart. Jennifer is a Millennial.

And yet, we can’t forget Madison, who recently turned sixteen and spends most of her time flipping through her “friends” snapchat stories and wondering why she hasn’t block them already. On her desk is stacks upon stacks of ACT and SAT prep books that still have the wrapping over them. Her phone chimes with a notification from a news source that she only subscribed to because her English or History teacher made her. Checking it, she reads the headline, about politics or the environment, but instead of being offended, she sets her phone back down to work on homework that was due three days ago. Madison is part of Generation Z.

When faced with unsettling news, each generation reacts completely differently; and therefore, should not be grouped together and categorized as easily offended.  By grouping a generation who is focused on improving themselves with a generation who is self-absorbed and melodramatic, the entire concept of a generation loses its purpose. Generations are not merely a title but a distinction between groups of people who share the same experiences and moral values. The actions of those who come before us, do not define us.

Stephanie Wallace, Staff Writer

I am a junior and this is my first year on staff of the Fielder.