Masks should be optional

Masks should be optional

Michael Totosz, Sports Editor

As everyone knows, the mask mandate was recently lifted, and students and staff have the choice if they want to wear a mask or not during the school day.
Being given the option to not wear a mask, I do not wear one. However, where they are required I will wear one, no questions asked. In school, I agree that masks should be an option for everyone inside the classrooms. There is adequate space between desks, and close interaction with people is not that common. Due to this lack of close contact, it is hard for the virus to be transmissible.
No masks in classrooms would also help teachers and students communicate better with each other because each is understood easier.
There are also some physical side effects of wearing a mask for extended periods of time such as a greater risk of having breakouts, rashes, and other skin problems.
Many people had issue with the mandate simply because it took away choice, not because they didn’t care about others.
I do not believe this choice to wear a mask in school will last much longer, especially if covid numbers start to go up. However, in the meantime, I do not see a problem with not wearing a mask or with wearing a mask. It is ultimately up to the person and what they are most comfortable with, as it should be.
Nobody knows why a person wears or does not wear a mask. Someone could be wearing a mask because their family member has an underlying condition that causes them to be at higher risk. That’s why I support respecting everyone’s choice whether we agree or disagree.