Infinity War rises above large expectations

Jon Kealey, Staff Writer

10 years, 18 movies, and it’s all led up to one final battle. Avengers: Infinity War is the latest release by Marvel studios in the continuity of films known as the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Infinity war finds beloved heroes such as Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, and the rest of the team facing their greatest threat yet, an all-powerful being known as Thanos.

Thanos, the last of his kind, intends to wipe out half of the galaxy’s population, in the belief that it will provide centuries of prosperity and safety for those who survive. In order to achieve this, he requires the six infinity stones, the most powerful artifacts in the universe.

A large part of what made Infinity War so compelling was the character development and insight shown on Thanos. Marvel chose to strongly stray away from the narrative of most superhero films, consisting of a bland and predictable villain with very little to relate to. During the two and a half hours watching Infinity War, viewers will truly get to see who Thanos is, why he’s doing what he’s doing, and how in his mind, he’s trying to save the galaxy rather than destroy it.

Though his methods are twisted and clearly evil, some could argue that Thanos is actually the main character of the film, as he has more screen time than any other character. The ruthless antagonist is portrayed by the talented Josh Brolin, who delivers a chilling and tremendous performance, somehow finding a balance between the tone of a loving father in some scenes, and a ruthless tyrant in others.

Avengers: Infinity War is truly unlike any movie out there, balancing so many tones into one film that flows smoothly and keeps the audience’s attention in each second. Viewers are guaranteed to laugh, gasp, cheer, and fall silent as infinity war takes them on the emotional rollercoaster of a lifetime.

Infinity War also defines excellence in film making, consisting of visuals and soundtracks that completely engulf viewers into the experience. The film’s settings are beautiful and well designed, providing a variety of scenes stretching from earth to the far ends of the galaxy. Music tends to always set the tone in cinema, and these tracks certainly bring the scenes to life, dictating the atmosphere of the theater.

The movie’s only genuine flaw lies in the reality of what it is, a sequel to 18 previous films in a single continuity. Longtime fans are in for an absolute treat consisting of nostalgia and knowing that 10 years of films have all been leading to this moment.

Unfortunately, the less dedicated will find themselves in utter confusion as Infinity war is completely dependent on the plots of the previous marvel films. Despite being an extraordinary film, those individuals would have a very hard time even enjoying themselves amongst its intense and complex plot elements.

Due to the fantastic and intense experience provided to fans by the film, but also considering the inability of some viewers to partake in the excitement, I give Infinity War 4 out of 5 stars.