Poll

Best New York Times game?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Polls

Which Hogwarts house do you think you belong in?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

‘Five Nights at Freddy’s’ appeals to younger audience

Five Nights at Freddys appeals to younger audience

‘Five Nights at Freddy’s’ is a movie based on the game and books. The storyline focuses on Mike Schmidtt(Josh Hutcherson), a recently hired night guard at the diner. When he brings his sister Abby to work with him, he is confronted with the discovery that the animatronics are not just robots; they are fully capable of moving on their own and terrorizing people. 

The movie focuses on five main animatronics: Foxy, Bonnie, Chica, Golden Freddy, and Freddy.  All of these animatronics are ‘ghost children’ who were murdered by William Afton(Steve Raglan) the co-founder and owner of Fazbears Entertainment. In the movie, Afton also has a daughter, Vanessa Shelly/Afton(Elizabeth Lail) who works as a police officer and security guard at the diner.  The acting was alright, however, Vanessa’s acting stood out to me. She played her role of the secretive security guard perfectly. Vanessa is overprotective of Abby because she knows what the animatronics are capable of but she still does not reveal all the secrets of Fazbears Entertainment. 

The visuals are realistic and the animatronics seem to have been worked on to perfection. My expectations were low, but the details throughout the entire movie surpassed my expectations.          

There is some nostalgia in the movie as some of the scenes are based on the game. 

In the games there are multiple jump scares however, surprisingly there are few jump scares in the movie. The movie starts with a slow start and the main character is startled easily. This film seems as if it is directed more toward the younger audience. It is supposed to be a horror film but focuses more on the mystery aspect. 

As someone a little familiar with the game, I think the movie can be quite confusing to viewers who aren’t as familiar with the game or even the books. I would have liked for the movie to go more into what happened to the ghost children and the background in general.

Overall I give ‘Five Nights at Freddy’s’ 3 out of 5 stars. 

View Comments (1)