Human trafficking surprisingly abundant in USA

Allie Wright, Entertainment Editor

Human trafficking sounds foreign; something that only occurs in developing countries. The fact of the matter is that it is happening now— within America’s borders. The biggest day for business is Super Bowl Sunday, according to many sources including “The dark side of the Superbowl – Human trafficking spikes before major sporting event” by Rachael Denhollander.

According to the US Department of Justice, human trafficking is “the act of compelling or coercing a person’s labor, services, or commercial sex acts.” This means that human trafficking is not secluded to prostitution. The business, because that is what it has become, includes illegal service from victims.

“It’s sad but true: here in this country, people are being bought, sold, and smuggled like modern-day slaves,” said the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

“Super Bowl fans may be surprised to know that the people cleaning their hotel rooms, serving meals at restaurants, or driving taxis to and from the game could be victims of labor trafficking,” said Coleen Owens in “The Super Bowl and human trafficking: What we know, and what we don’t.”

The BJA says “human trafficking is reputed to be one of the most profitable endeavors of organized crime and the fastest growing.”

Candace Baker, teacher and Interact Club sponsor of Minooka High School, works with an organization called Destiny Rescue. Destiny Rescue helps slaves escape the human trafficking industry. The organization works outside of American borders, but the problem exists nationally as well.

“About 1.2 million children every year are sold into the sex trade and human trafficking,” said Baker.  Destiny rescue is an organization that anyone can contribute to. Those interested can visit the website for more information on ways to donate or become involved at www.destinyrescue.org.

Many other organizations work towards ending human trafficking in America and internationally. More information for other programs can be found on the web.

To report suspected victims of human trafficking or trafficking-related crimes, please call 1-888-428-7581 or contact the local FBI office.

Also, the Department of Health and Human Services maintains, the National Trafficking Resource Center (NHTRC)  which operates 24-hours, 7-days-a-week. Please call 1-888-373-7888 or text BeFree (233733).