NHS inducts 104 members for next year

Kaitlyn Husak, Staff Writer

On April 25. 2019, 104 new members were inducted into National Honors Society (NHS).

National Honor Society is an organization that awards students who have displayed excellence in academics, leadership skills, and character. To be in NHS members must have a 4.5 weighted GPA, acquire two letters of recommendation, and complete the application.

“The four pillars of NHS are Character, Scholarship, Leadership, and Service. These four pillars are also the strong qualities we look for our members to demonstrate consistently not only at PHS, but out in the community as well,” Rose Fleming, NHS sponsor, said.

The new members take a great sense of pride in being part of NHS.

“It is an important organization for the school and community. I wanted to join to be able to give back to the to the community and be a leader in our school,” Adrianna Giacona, junior said.

The members of NHS are required to complete thirty service hours. These service hours are scouted out by the NHS officers.

“The role of an NHS officer is to organize volunteering events and opportunities and manage everything for the rest of NHS,” Lauren Lotarski, junior, said.

The NHS officers are also in charge of organizing events and running the NHS office.

“My role in NHS is Administrative Assistant. My partner and I run the NHS office, help out the president, vice president, and advisors with many things, and help manage the calendar,” Lotarski said.

The events that the NHS officers plan are meant to help serve the community. The inductees are looking forward to begin participating in these events.

“I hope to build my leadership skills while enhancing my presence in the community. I wanted to leave my legacy,” Dominic Bennett, junior said.