Girls basketball shoots for team unity

Back to Article
Back to Article

Girls basketball shoots for team unity

Kachae Donald, junior, brings the ball down the court to set up the offense against Oswego.  The Wildcats  lost 52-72.

Kachae Donald, junior, brings the ball down the court to set up the offense against Oswego. The Wildcats lost 52-72.

Hannah Kopek

Hannah Kopek

Hannah Kopek

Carter Day, News Editor

The lady Wildcats basketball team has started off 2-0 in conference rising above the adversity of having only four returning players.
“Half of the team is playing varsity level basketball for the first time, so they are adjusting to the speed in which we need to play while also learning the different concepts we use on defense,” coach Armond Frazier said.
In their first game they beat Oswego East 58-55. They also had a program sweep against Romeoville, with the varsity team winning 65-53.
“As a team we are hoping to finish top 3 in conference maybe even conference champions, that’s our ultimate goal,” senior Katie Kearney said.
Kearney has set high hopes going into this year, already accomplishing her goal of breaking the girls three-point record, which she determined in her freshman year. She has made 79 three pointers so far in her career.
“After four years, to do it my senior year shows how much hard work has payed off, and how I came a long way from what I used to be as a shooting guard,” Kearney said.
Even though this year’s team is younger, Kachae Donald, junior, believes that the team is better than last year.
“We use each other more than last year. We are more athletic and have more post players,” Donald said.
Varsity has offered more opportunities for younger players such as Stacey Evans, junior. This year is her second on varsity.
“I’ve gotten more experience and I helped the younger girls on team,” Evans said.
Last season the team went 14-14, which was a great improvement compared to previous years according to Frazier.
“We played some tough teams in the summer and fall to prepare for this season’s schedule. I believe all of those things have made us better and mentally stronger. We should have a better season because of it,” Frazier said.
According to Frazier, besides Kearney and Donald being key leaders to the team, another strong leader and player is Annaliese Griffin, sophomore. She was the most improved player from last year’s team, and she is just scratching the surface at her age this year.
“Overall it’s just an amazing feeling,” Griffin said, when being named the second leading scorer on last year’s team. She continued by putting in lots of offseason work according to Frazier.
The lady Wildcats play tonight at Plainfield North High School at 6:30.

Carter Day, News Editor

This is my second year on staff with the Fielder. I layout the front page, and am a senior.

Hannah Kopek, Sports Editor

"We do not need magic to change the world, we carry the power we need inside ourselves already. We have the power to imagine better." -J.K. Rowling