Fewer parents attend conferences

Photo by Renee Nieckula

English teacher Sam Kukuk waits outside her classroom for her next parents.

Payton Middleton, Staff Writer

The attendance of parent teacher conferences has dropped within the last few years. This year there are 1,023 appointments for conferences whereas last year there were 1,300 appointments, according to Dave Stephens, principal.

Although all parents are encouraged to attend conferences, for the most part the parents of honors students attend and not the parents of students who may need assistance, according to Scott Nissley, calculus teacher.

“I think some parents might go because it’s rewarding to hear that their kid is doing well,” Dominic Bennett, junior, stated.

There is a “definite correlation” of students who succeed and parents who go to conferences according to English teacher, Karin Walker. There is no coincidence that the students who succeed and are in honors classes continue to succeed after their parents attend conferences.

However, receiving help from parents is not the only option for students. Several teachers offer after school help or they will assist students when asked to do so.

“Ask for help, don’t sit there and wait,” John Erickson, physics teacher, said. “At some point students have to take responsibility for their actions.”

Parent teacher conferences do not hinder student independence, and conferences serve as a way for parents to have a better understanding of their child’s teachers, according to Bennett.

However, not all students feel the same way. High school is the time for students to become more independent and it is the beginning of adulthood, according to Stacey Evans, junior.

“At the high school level, I feel like there shouldn’t be conferences; I am sixteen years old and I am responsible for my own school work. My mom doesn’t need to be involved with my school work,” Evans said.