Boys tennis targets improvement

Hannah Kopek

Senior Sam Jackson prepares for the return as his partner, senior Noah Bylon serves.

Hannah Kopek, Staff Writer

The boys’ varsity tennis team has taken victories over conference opponents such as Plainfield North, 4-3, Plainfield East, 4-3, Plainfield South, 6-1, and Romeoville 4-3. They are currently ranked fourth in the conference with a record of _____. Even so, they feel winning is not everything.
“I just enjoy playing with another person,” Connor Elens, sophomore, said. “Being on varsity this season, it’s more about learning how to be better, not really about winning. I’ve learned a lot more by playing with the higher level and Coach Bayer.”
The team also works to teach each other and learn from each other.
“Our goals are always the same, to try and win conference and advance as many people out of the sectional to the state tournament,” John Bayer, coach, said. Of last year’s six sectional advancers, four are looking to repeat: Seniors, Sam Jackson, Noah Bylon, Frank Ruane, Karl Burns,
“My goal is to win the spot at conference,” Bylon, said. Doubles partners, Jackson and Bylon, both aspire to emerge victorious from conference and return the state sectional.
“Tennis is a combination of physical and mental exercise,” Jackson, said. “I’m much more physically active and athletic than I would have been otherwise.”
Playing tennis requires quick thinking and stamina. It also comes with life lessons that players can think back on in the future.
“Tennis has reinforced [the idea] that if you find yourself in a hole, you can always dig yourself back out,” Matthew Poggi, senior, said.
To read about boy’s junior varsity tennis, visit the thefielder.org under Sports.