Soccer kicks into next gear

Shannon Tierney

Junior Max Woodward wards off a defender to receive the ball against Oswego East on Tuesday, Sept. 29.

Luis Gonzalez, Editor-in-Chief

The boys’ varsity soccer team has had a great season so far with a record of 11-2-5. This group of athletes has made a name to be reckoned with among conference rivals.

Last year was rough due to the IHSA suspending multiple players during mid-season. Now they are in full swing, ready to go, and focused on this season.

“I think the team has more focus, and they now know what it takes to win,” said Coach Kevin Fitzgerald.

“Last year we had multiple players suspended for a long period of time. This year we came out with a lot to prove,” Ish Contreras, sophomore, said.

Overall, off-season improvement was a factor in their perseverance and commitment. These were everyone’s priority during summer league to prepare them for the season.

“Off-season consisted of club soccer and the weight room,” Contreras said.

Another teammate went through rigorous training during the summer to prepare himself for this year and upcoming seasons.

“[I prepared] by working out and continuing my training during off-season,” Jose Cardinas, senior said.

Most of the athletes have been playing soccer for longer than just high school. “I’ve played since I was four years old, and I played it because I didn’t like baseball,” said Jarod Petrovic, senior, said

Last year the team had difficulty committing to the team and which steered them to a harsh season. As a whole their “biggest obstacle was commitment,” Fitzgerald said

Their hard work has definitely shown so far this season. Now players have a closer opportunity to meet their personal and team goals.

“My personal goals are to win a regional title and finish off the season with a winning record,” Phil Garcia, senior said.

“My only goals are team goals. I want us to do the best we can,” Contreras said.

Their sectional game is today, if the team qualified at the regional game this past Tuesday evening.