Poll

Best Studio Ghibli movie?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Polls

Which horror movie from this year do you think is the best?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Collage concert showcases band, choir students

Courtesy of Nathan Rancatore
Seniors Sabrina Rodriguez and Becca Cameron perform at last year’s collage concert with alumni.

Band and choir students are looking forward to the Collage concert which will take place on Dec. 9 at 2:30 and 6 p.m. This concert will showcase many band group performances as well as choir solos.

“There are over 200 students participating in the concert altogether,” Chris Vanderwall, band director said. The Collage concert will feature about 24 acts.

“There is always constant movement throughout the concert,” Nathan Rancatore, choir director, said, “with everyone constantly moving around as each performance ends.” 

Selected band and choir students are in small groups where some have the creative freedom to choose what songs they will play.

“As a director, I want to give flexibility to my students, and create variations of songs throughout the concert,” Rancatore said. The concert will feature many Christmas songs as well as other winter holiday songs.

Preparing for the concert is a tedious process as most of the students will receive their sheet music 2-3 weeks before the concert itself. 

“ It’s definitely crunch time because we’re doing a lot of finalizing music, making sure we have it memorized, and checking in with each piece that we’re doing,”  Sabrina Rodriguez, senior band and choir student, said. 

Vanderwall and Rancatore make sure that all of their students are prepared by working with them during class.

”The instrument groups will often be scattered during class in preparation for the concert,” Vanderwall said. This concert is a favorite among the students and school staff because of its variety of holiday songs, which is why there are two shows. Many of the students in band and choir have many great memories of participating in this concert.

“I love being able to play music with my friends and seeing people enjoy our performance,” senior TJ Countryman said.