Poll

This poll has ended.

Whos ready for summer?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Polls

Which restaurant has the best fries?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Teens still celebrate Halloween

Graph by Brooke Plowman

Halloween is a pagan holiday celebrated all over the world on October 31. Halloween parties are thrown, children go from door to door asking for candy, also known as ‘trick or treating’, people dress up, houses are decorated with thrilling light-up inflatables, and many.
Halloween traditions have been spread throughout the years.
“My mom goes all out for Halloween. She dresses up and decorates the house,” PE teacher Kaitlyn Polakovic said.
In childhood, Halloween was the day kids looked forward to expressing their creativity. Students remember the nostalgic days of going to school, showing off costumes during the parade, and eating candy with friends in class.
“I think back then it was more about how much candy I could get and having the best costume,” junior Logan Fox said.
However, according to a recent Fielder survey, 72% of students believe Halloween is being celebrated less as students grow older.
“When I began to get older I stopped trick or treating because that’s when all my friends stopped, but I definitely wish Halloween was something I still participated in,” senior Natalie Biernat-Crane said.
The older generation were trusted to trick or treat; for most there were no curfews like there is now due to the fact kids are finding razor blades in their candy along with events going on around the world.
“Multiple razor blades have been found hidden in children’s Halloween candy” According to an article from ABC News
On the other hand, according to a recent survey, 28% of students believe Halloween is celebrated more.
“As a kid, it was definitely less awkward to get candy from people, but honestly it feels the same. I love Halloween and the tradition is fun”, senior Annabelle Seum said.
Halloween isn’t like any normal day.
“Halloween gives a chance to escape from the typical day. The decorations bring the day to life” Fox said.
Most houses in Plainfield seem to participate in the Halloween spirit and go all out with their decorations. There is a ‘Stranger Things’ Halloween display in Plainfield featuring a floating Max MayField display. It is open to the public to visit.
Halloween is also a fun way to get involved in the community
“Families throw parties, and neighbors get together,” said Polakovic.
Swiftly walking through the streets Trick or Treaters are greeted with spooky props that come to life as Halloween day approaches.