Fashion expresses self, evolves through ages

Miguel Cambray, News Editor

Most aspects of high school remain consistent over time. For 180 days, students attend classes, talk with friends, and dread doing homework. Despite this routine, however, fashion changes at a constant rate. As fashion evolves, there are always emerging innovations and pointers for making one appear the most stylish.

Fashion is an expression of oneself in addition to a component of one’s individuality. For those who relish getting dressed up, or merely putting together a simple cozy outfit, their personality is reflected in the ensembles they put together.

Throughout the early 2000s, there was a prominent trend of baggy clothing—baggy shorts, baggy tops, and baggy pants. In the 2010s, however, it was out with the old and in with the new as skin-tight clothing became the recent trend. Skinny jeans, skinny sweatpants, and other slim clothing became common in high schools. In contrast to baggy clothing, skin-tight clothing emphasizes one’s features rather while loose-fitting clothing hides those features. However, with the new decade and this year’s current generation reminiscing on previous fashion eras via platforms such as Pinterest and Tiktok, baggy clothing has made a comeback.

It really is exceptional that society has experienced so many trends over the decades, but there are some that should never have happened, such as the skinny biker jeans, which were a crime. The overuse of these jeans, as well as the zippers and cuts within the jeans, are the reasons why it is such an abomination.

Shoes, in particular, are a wardrobe staple. Footwear is always frequently updated, with new versions of shoes being released on a regular basis; wearing the newest new kicks demonstrates that one has managed to keep up with current trends. Converse, Vans, and the Jordan 1 were renowned footwear in the early 2000s. Today, the white Air Force 1 has emerged as one of the most popular shoes, if not the most popular, and Crocs are a close second.

I’m certain that teachers who’ve been working in a school for more than ten years have got to witness the changes in real-time. They’ve probably seen the most unique outfits turn up at this school, as they have seen an entire range of student attire over the last decade. Educators’ own styles have evolved too, but not as dramatically. Teachers now dress more casually as opposed to previous decades.

Even if it’s just a pair of Levi’s, a gray hoodie, and a pair of Chucks, the most important aspect of fashion is the ability to be innovative, independent, and self-expression. 

To summarize, fashion in high school is forever evolving. The beauty of fashion is that it rarely becomes stagnant. Everyone, regardless of age, should wear whatever they feel comfortable in. It’s fine to be part of the crowd; it’s popular for a reason.

I know that as I get older, my style will change slightly, probably with a little more class, but the roots will remain the same.