New tutoring sessions available for students

Brendan Timmel, science teacher, helps students with schoolwork every Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday as part of the new tutoring sessions. Teachers in other core subjects are also available.

Photo by Miguel Cambray

Holly Winiars, Staff Writer

A new teacher-led tutoring program is available in the media center, covering all core subjects. Tutoring is offered from 2:20 to 3:20 after school hours on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays. Sign-up sheets are posted in classrooms and have QR codes that link to the sign-up document.
Students should take advantage of brushing up on subjects with tutoring due to the presence of finals this year, Milan Bhatt, math teacher, said. Even though a class may not be a struggle, a quick review before a quiz or exam can benefit the final results.
“Students need help, and they might not be able to figure it out at home,” Joseph Schertz, associate principal, said. “Being able to ask a teacher about problems is certainly needed.”
Some students, however, also work or take part in extracurricular activities, so after-school tutoring might not be accessible. Of 105 polled students, 18% stated that they did not have a ride home, whilst another 16.9% were unaware of the program altogether.
The poll also revealed various mental concerns that play a factor in a student’s decision not to partake in tutoring, such as social anxiety or uncertainty about the benefits of tutoring.
“I think that it would be awkward having a random person help me with my schoolwork,” Reagan McIntyre, sophomore, said.
Student tutoring is offered by National Honors Society students during lunch periods. Student tutors might be able to explain a question in a unique way to help a student’s understanding, but due to their expertise in a given subject, teachers can provide input that student tutors may not be able to, Schertz added.
“I think one of the best skills that I developed in college was writing,” Alonzo Cardenas, social studies teacher, said. “I feel like if I could help people develop those skills earlier on, we’d have more success with students here at school.”
According to a study from San Bernardino Valley College, 8 out of 10 tutored students performed better after tutoring, and there was a 12% increase in test grades from tutored students. These students also gained a higher GPA, and the majority performed better than students who did not consider tutoring.
“Take advantage of these programs designed to help you,” Cardenas said. “Teachers would appreciate knowing that you’re taking the extra step to get additional help wherever you need. It shows that you really care.”