Lynda Clark retires after 17 years

Photo by Abby Timm

Tessa Danko, junior, hands Lynda Clark,math teacher, a hand-written letter for her upcoming retirement.

Samantha Jessen, Staff Writer

Math teacher Lynda Clark will be retiring from teaching after 17 years at the end of first semester.
“Mrs. Clark is one of the teachers that actually cares about her students,” junior Domonic Dawidowski said, who is taking Clark’s honors precalculus class. During her time here, Clark has taught Algebra 1, Algebra 2 honors, honors and regular precalculus, statistics, and discrete mathematics. Her students have greatly praised her style of teaching.
“I’ve been learning really well from her and I appreciate her flexibility in teaching,” junior Anna Proulx said, who is taking the same class. Clark was first hired by Dr. Lane Abrell, who was the principal at the time, shortly after completing her student teaching.
“I have always enjoyed working with the youth in our community and I have a love for mathematics. Therefore, it was an easy decision to become a high school teacher,” Clark said. Clark’s effort and care for her classes has not gone unrecognized by the people around her.
“I know she does a really good job with her students,” math department chair Brittany Zettergren said. Throughout Zettergren’s three years here, Clark has had the same schedule for her classes, even through covid and hybrid learning.
“She’s super flexible and accommodating for certain situations. Her math content is stellar. She’s very organized and dependable,” Zettergren said.
Teaching has been part of Clark’s life for almost two decades now.
“I would say the biggest impact teaching has had in my life is the bond I have with the students and faculty. I feel like I’m a foster mom to 2700+ kids,” Clark said. “I love teaching at Plainfield Central High School. The students are eager to learn, they’re kind and thoughtful, and most importantly they laugh at my jokes. We [the faculty] have a bond and an
unbreakable camaraderie.”
According to Zettergren, there is going to be a celebratory/going away lunch at the end of the semester for all retirees, attended by the staff.
Clark says she and her husband have special plans for her retirement.
“[We] plan on traveling for a year visiting every state and relative and friend we know in each state before we move back to Idaho to replant our roots,” Clark said. Idaho is where Clark grew up, before moving to Plainfield and starting her teaching career. “I’ll miss having heartfelt discussions with my classes, [and] the energy of working with young men and women. I will miss working with the caring faculty at PCHS.” However, the loss of Clark will be greatly felt by her students this year.
“I’m disappointed as I have a hard time with change, and Mrs. Clark is such a great teacher, but I understand that it’s her time to retire and support her in doing what she wants and needs to,” Proulx said. “She’s been incredibly supportive with all of us [students] as we return to full time in person learning, which I think has helped all of us in comparison to having work thrown at us.” Proulx isn’t the only student going to miss their teacher.
“She’s a good teacher and I’m definitely going to miss her, as well as puzzle Fridays,” junio Abby Timm said. No replacement has been hired to fill Clark’s spot as of yet.
“The job is posted, but we’re still looking,” Zettergren said. If someone isn’t able to be found in time, schedules will be shifted in order to accommodate another teacher taking Clark’s classes.
Clark’s advice for current and future students is “Math is everywhere, so learn to enjoy [it]. Get involved in your school programs. Be kind, and stand up for those who need someone on their side. Decide to be happy and enjoy your time in high school, build friendships, get to know your teachers, they are there to help you succeed,” and “Don’t let your phone own you.”