Girls basketball shoots for conference

Photo by Brianna Mosinski

Freshman Brianna Ashford tries to avoid a defender on Nov. 30 when varsity, JV and freshmen teams all took on Joliet West and were defeated.

Maddie Veghts, Staff Writer

The girls varsity basketball team has a record of 1-3 overall, after beating Plainfield South 48-42, led by junior Aaliyah Frazier with 26 points. After a tough year, the team is excited to jump into the new season and reach their goals this year.
“This season is going to be one of the best, ‘’ senior Sara Kowalczyk said. The team has high hopes of success this season.
“We would like to win the conference and win as many games as they can,” Jason Held, coach, said. The SouthWest Prairie conference has six schools competing against each other.
The girls are confident in their ability to compete when they are on the court.
“We are not worried about the conference; we are a good team and have a strong mindset going into this season. During the game my mind is in full focus, I drown out all distractions outside of the court. I keep my head in the game until the last second of the 4th quarter,” Grace Bardachowski, senior, said.
“I would like to beat all the other Plainfield schools because they are our rivals and to make it farther in the playoffs,” Kowalczyk said.
Players and coaches believe they will overcome the challenges with the pandemic and the season will be one of the best. Coached by Held and Armond Frazier, Bardachowski, Chissy Frazier, senior, and A. Frazier are the varsity captains, and were chosen because they know the expectations and how to communicate to the others according to Held.
Held’s main priorities for this season are “developing young athletes into respective young adults. Improving athletically is just a bonus.” He wants to help them prepare for the real world and to have fun while playing.
“The girls know that being a student-athlete, academics come first and if they have an issue they can go to their coaches or any of their teachers,” Held said. He is glad that the girls’ basketball program has a good reputation for academics and doesn’t have a problem with students ineligible to play.
Their next game is tonight at Romeoville High School, varsity starts at 6:30 pm.