Food choices now will impact future health

Jessica Brooks, Staff Writer

Stopping at McDonald’s every morning might be the easiest choice for breakfast due to its convenience but eating fast food everyday will lead to multiple health problems in the future according to most doctors.
Physical health is a major key to living the best life possible. With good physical health comes a nutritious diet. For students, it may be hard to eat a perfect breakfast every morning or a plentiful lunch due to what options they are being offered or how much time they have. A prime solution to prevent students from stopping at a fast food restaurant is preparing food the night before saving them time to eat foods that will help them instead of hurting them. Students and basically everyone should eat meals that include fruits, vegetables, grains, dairy, and protein.
Inadequate nutrition affects school performance in the long run. According to the Wilder Foundation, students who eat a nutritious breakfast will perform better in school because of the vitamins and minerals working to improve memory and motor skills. Insufficient diets will lead to problems like tooth decay, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and many other health issues.
What I have noticed about eating poorly is that I don’t focus as well in school. When I do eat a good breakfast, I feel more awake and alert. Changing my eating habits helped me wake up and feel energized during the day.
According to www.stateofobesity.org, 30% of Americans are obese. Based on a person’s metabolism, obesity can hit fast or come over time. It mainly comes from eating bad foods consistently. Obesity brings worn down joints and can lead to osteoporosis because joints are constantly rubbing together, according to Dr. Fernando Gomez-Pinilla of David Geffen School of Medicine. Dr Fernando also said that eating foods with high omega-3 (fish, soy, seeds, nuts, etc.) can help with mood swings, memory, and brain functioning with old age. Omega-3 is a fatty acid that is necessary for the body to perform at its best rate.
Eating whatever may be the most convenient option might not always be the best choice because food choices now effect future health. We need to realize that time is going by fast and we need to change our eating habits before our habits change us.