Bond, Rancatore awarded for helpful qualities in classroom

Brendan Burns, News Editor

Nathan Rancatore, choir director, and Tom Bond, math teacher, received the award of excellence, along with 13 teachers and staff members from other District 202 schools.
“The Award of Excellence is presented by the Plainfield Board of Education to a select number of teachers and non-administrative staff to recognize and honor exemplary service,” Rancatore said.
The award ceremony was held in the auditorium after school to publicly recognize these teachers.
“Mr. Rancatore is the kind of teacher that you can tell he genuinely enjoys his students’ company and teaching all of us,” Cody Gorecki, junior, said.
Gorecki spoke at the ceremony because he nominated Rancatore.
“The main points that I said in my speech for Mr. Rancatore was that he really does love what he does for a living,” Gorecki said.
Receiving this award can be considered as a great responsibility and having great passion for the school.
“I am honored to receive this award, especially because the nomination came from a student,” Rancatore said.
This award has been given out for many years and will be continued to be given out for years to come.
“Anyone can nominate a candidate, but then a committee selects the winners from the nominations,” Bond said.
Bond was nominated by one of his students, Antonio Gonzalez, junior.
“I’ve only had Mr. Bond for less than a year and I can tell how great of a teacher he is. He helps students with questions they have, and he helped me with a lot of personal things,” Gonzalez said.
Aside from the award of excellence, Bond has earned other awards throughout his career.
“I was selected as Walmart teacher of the year my 2nd or 3rd year of teaching! I also qualified to be a National Board-Certified teacher, but that is a process that took a lot of work,” Bond said.