Addams Family creeps their way to stage

Sydney Schillinger, junior, and Joseph Sarabia, sophomore, share a tender moment on stage; they play Morticia and Gomez respectively. Photo by Paige Gieseke

Abby Blazevic, Opinion Editor

Students jump into Barry Sonnenfeld’s quirky world as they prepare for this year’s spring musical, “The Addams Family”, which will run April 11-14.
According to musical director and choir teacher Nathan Rancatore, compared to previous years “The Addams Family” is more modern, which allows more flexibility in creating the characters because the audience knows little about them besides what they see in the television show and movies from decades ago.
With having a more morbid set of characters, difficulties can arise for the actors/actresses to dive into the head space of their character.
“You don’t want to have a plastic [fake] connection to your character, but trying to create a genuine connection can be hard, especially if an actor/actress is working on unfamiliar territory with their character’s thoughts and actions,” Olivia Brady, junior, (Wednesday Addams), said.
There are many aspects of a musical production that can be difficult to achieve.
“Trying to put to pieces of the puzzle together can be stressful because of the time constraint,” Casey Oskroba, senior, (Dancer) said.
However, the experience of creating a musical attracts many students who were involved in previous years. Many students in cast and crew often become veterans of the craft and continue to come back each year to help with production.
“I’ve been involved with crew since the sixth grade, and it’s not like your usual sport, club or activity. It’s more involved and it’s so much fun to be a part of it,” Cody Gorecki, junior, (Crew Chief), said.
As every student has a different role in the production of the show, it is common for them to be self-motivated and create their own goals for the show.
“I want it to be as satisfying as it has been for me to put in the work for this musical as it is for the audience to experience it,” Joseph Sarabia, (Gomez Addams), sophomore, said.