BREAKING NEWS: Schools closed 3 days in one week as Chicagoland experiences extreme weather

Back to Article
Back to Article

Ted Arison, math teacher, warns students of the upcoming freeze in the Fielder Friday video.

Renee Nieckula

Renee Nieckula

Renee Nieckula

Hannah Darbro, Fielder Friday Editor

As Plainfield digs out from several inches of snow that snarled traffic and left District 202 schools closed on Monday, the district has announced all schools will be closed for the next two days, as the town is preparing for even more severe weather.

The National Weather Service has issued a Wind Chill Advisory for northeast Illinois in effect from Tuesday evening to Thursday morning. The air temperature is expected to hover around minus 18 degrees at daybreak on Wednesday morning. When wind speeds are factored into the equation, the temperature will feel up to 50 degrees below zero.

“Since 1829, we’ve never had a day where the temperature stays below zero for 24-hours and we will experience two of those this week,” Principal Dave Stephens said.

The National Weather Service also reported the lowest temperature ever recorded in Chicago at minus 27 degrees on January 20, 1985. Wednesday night’s low of 25 degrees below zero will put that record within reach.

“In all the years I’ve been in the district, I can’t remember there ever being 3 days off in one week,” Kathy Hawkins, PTSO president, said. “And I was a student here too!”

In addition to  canceling classes on Wednesday and Thursday, extracurricular activities in the high schools will be ending early at 5:30 p.m. on Tuesday so the buildings can be closed at 6 p.m., but some students don’t think it’s as bad as it sounds.  

“Honestly, it was only so cold because of the wind, otherwise it would’ve been fine out,” Maddie Smiles, senior said.

Students were urged to stay indoors, if at all possible, and dress appropriately for the weather, but some had to venture out.

“My car wouldn’t start, and I had to thaw out some pipes in my house with a blow dryer,” David Lozano, senior said.

Hannah Darbro, Website Editor

My name is Hannah and I am the Fielder Friday Editor! When I'm not filming the video announcements you can find me hiking , kayaking or eating Chick-fil-A...