‘Station 19’ goes up in flames

Back to Article
Back to Article

‘Station 19’ goes up in flames

Photo courtesy of Spoiler TV

Photo courtesy of Spoiler TV

Photo courtesy of Spoiler TV

Photo courtesy of Spoiler TV

Maddie Cox, Staff Writer

“Station 19” is the newest tv show that presents some of the oldest clichés from every other police, hospital, and firehouse drama.
The show is a spinoff of the long running Grey’s Anatomy, a hospital action-drama created and produced by Shonda Rhimes, who also produced Station 19, which revolves around the firefighters.
Featured on ABC and aired on March 22, the trailers created high expectations for a new hit by Rhimes, only to offer a soap opera revolved around a secret romance and failed comedic inserts.
It opens with a successful call to an apartment fire, introducing the team so quickly that it leaves the audience confused as to which characters they refer to later in the episode. Andy (Jaina Lee Ortiz), confident hot-headed daughter of Captain Pruitt, finds herself in a secret romance with her co-worker lieutenant Jack Gibson (Grey Damon). After discovering a ring, suggesting he was going to propose, Andy pushes him away to show that she is a strong, independent woman that can make decisions for herself when she is ready.
Due to the overused problematic guy in every show that doesn’t follow orders, the chief’s life is put at risk when Jack goes off on his own and doesn’t stay grouped up with the captain. This places him in the hospital, where Andy discovers her father, the chief, also has cancer.
Due to this, the chief must retire, leaving a lieutenant to take his place. Andy manages to convince her father to promote her to lieutenant, so now both she and her boyfriend fight for the Captain’s position.
Already overwhelmed by everything, Andy also must face a love triangle when her childhood crush moves back into the neighborhood and comforts her.
In addition to cliché relationships, another drawback is the show’s displaced comedic tones in serious scenes. This leaves an unrealistic impression that continues throughout the whole show. For example, two firefighters Travis ,(Jay Hayden) and Ben (Jason George) go back and forth over whether a door should be open or shut while there is a fire going on in the apartment.
With all the common personalities and overused TV show drama problems, it leaves the characters feeling more two-dimensional and unrelatable. The acting looks and sounds like something out of a cheesy high school teen drama, leaving no room for surprise and unpredictability.
Overall, “Station 19” is not a tv show for those looking for anything that hasn’t already been seen in 9-1-1 and Chicago Fire, unless they’re seeking an everyday soap opera-like drama. I rate it 2.5 out of 5 stars.

Maddie Cox, Feature Editor

Hello! My name is Maddie, I'm the Entertainment Editor for the Fielder Newspaper.