Computers replaced

Iris Wright, Copy Editor

Students and staff have mixed feelings over the technology changes that occurred over the summer.
The school replaced its computers and gained additional laptops which are touch screen, smaller than the old laptops, and can fold into tablets.
“They are smaller, faster,” Mcbeth said. “You don’t need a mouse. You don’t have to use the track pad.”
Intended for internet research, the laptops carry over few programs the old laptops had. They have limited purpose, which may be all students need when they borrow from a laptop cart.
“It is not a monster when it comes to the processing,” Mcbeth said. “They’re Dell’s version of the Chromebook.”
Reception has been far from all positive over the new computers, especially over the laptops.
“I hate the new laptops. I hate them so much,” junior Kaylee Smith said. “The keys are too small. You can’t read anything without zooming in. There’s so many fingerprints everywhere!”
Another obvious difference between the old and new computers is the change to all-in-one desktop computers, rather than computers with cords connecting the monitors to bulky boxes.
“The setup is definitely not as crowded,” junior Claire Palmer said.
On the other hand, condensed desktops are often a sign of less powerful computers.
“The new computers look nicer and they’re more modern, but they may not function as well because they’re all-in-ones; they don’t have towers,” Palmer said.
The old desktop computers had Windows 7, while the new ones have Windows 10. This change requires users to adjust to a new organization.
“Windows 10 is the most obvious change—the one most people are going to notice,” Mcbeth said. “It’s a much more reliable operating system.”
What hasn’t changed is that many of the features are the same as the old computers.
“Most of the programs are the same. They in fact should be identical,” Mcbeth said.
As with any shift, students and staff members will take some time to adjust to the new computers. Every user reacts differently and adjusts at a different time.
“They’re okay,” junior Tamia Foster said. “It’s just cool to have something new that you’ve never had before.”