Stephens becomes principal as Smith retires

Caitlyn McCarthy, Sports Editor

Athletic director, Dave Stephens will become principal as Bob Smith retires at the end of this school year. After working in the district for over 30 years as a teacher, coach, and athletic director, Stephens is now taking a role he never imagined he would have.

“I have really not set that [becoming principal] out as one of my goals. But as time has gone on and things have progressed, and the building has developed, it kind of excited me,” Stephens said.

As athletic director, Stephen’s has skills that will help him in his new role, but he expects to face obstacles along the way as it is a learning process.

“For the students coming in next year, this is going to be a new adventure for the both of us. It is like being a freshman all over again,” Stephens said.

Many feel the change will be easy since Stephens is well liked among the staff and students, and because of his positive attitude.

“He is very friendly and knows everyone’s names. That is why I think he will make a great principal,” junior Courtney Polanski said.

“It will be a very positive change, because Mr. Stephens is all about the students. It will also be positive because of how the staff reacts to him as well,” athletic secretary Darlene Castillo said.

The role of principal can be demanding at times, but Smith believes Stephens has the people and communication skills to succeed in this role.

“He will be an outstanding principal. He is the type of person who is very positive and is always looking for ways to improve. He makes people want to do a better job,” Smith said.

It is clear that Stephens has a very good relationship with the staff and students. His love and pride for the school is shown through everything he does.

“He’s bringing a new perspective in leadership to the building. He has a lot of enthusiasm and love for PHS,” Spanish teacher Asheley Kram said.

“He bleeds green and white,” Smith said.