Waffles vs. Pancakes

Waffles vs. Pancakes

Jack Plewa, Opinion Editor

If breakfast is the most important meal of the day, then choosing between waffles and pancakes is as hard as choosing between the Cubs and Sox. Even holidays have been created to honor these delicacies. National Waffle Day is Aug. 24, celebrating the first patented waffle iron, according to blendabout.com, and International Waffle Day is March 25, originating in Sweden.
Alternately, National Pancake Day is Sep. 26, and National Blueberry Pancake Day is January 28.
In a recent Fielder survey of 175 students, about 60% of students said they prefer waffles over pancakes. Both waffles and pancakes are made with the common ingredients of flour, baking powder, milk, eggs, and butter, although, according to differencebetween.net, waffles have more fat and oils in them, causing them to have a crispier outside than pancakes.
“Waffles are pancakes with abs,” Julian Garcia, freshman, said.
“It’s crunchy…I like crunchy,” Ashley Hoefferle, freshman, said.
“Waffles are lit,” Alyssa Solis, freshman, said.
Waffles are also lighter than pancakes because they contain more eggs, and they have more sugar than pancakes.
“Pancakes are too dry,” Cameron Turnbo, sophomore, said.
“Pancakes remind me of a soggy blanket,” Karina Rico, senior, said.
“Pancakes kind of smell weird sometimes,” McKenzie Berghuis, senior, said.
Some people like waffles because they hold the toppings better.
“Syrup slides right off the pancake, but waffles hold them in each square, so with every bite you get an even amount of syrup,” Cami Muir, freshman, said.
“It has pockets to hold your toppings!” Courtney Souders, senior, said.
On the other hand, some people like the texture of pancakes instead of waffles.
Kayla Icenogle, sophomore, said it’s “easier to spread butter and put toppings on.”
“I think the smooth texture of pancakes is better to eat,” Tamia Foster, freshman, said.
“I don’t like dents. Pancakes are like clouds, and waffles are like rocks,” Madi Curran, junior, said.
“They are flat and easier to cut,” Maddy Clauson, sophomore, said.
Pancakes are also not as fattening as waffles, and they are softer, causing them to either absorb maple syrup like a sponge, or allow it to slide right off.
“Pancakes are softer,” Eljen Caseres, freshman, said.
“They’re a fluffy, airy, goodness,” Michael Muhlig, junior, said.
Some people like pancakes for other reasons.
“It is big enough so you can make a pancake taco,” Jessica Labriola, sophomore, said. “Pancakes fill you up more,” Keyaira Sarpong, junior, said.Most people like the standard syrup, butter, whipped cream, and/or fruit on top of their waffles and/or pancakes.
According to the same Fielder survey, about 86% of students like to put syrup on top of their waffles or pancakes.
Several students said they also like to put on other toppings, such as powdered sugar, peanut butter, chocolate chips, pecans, Nutella, condensed milk, berry sauce, hot sauce, cream cheese, M &M’s, and bacon.
Also, there is a small percentage of people who dislike both waffles and pancakes.
“They’re both terrible!” Tim Bohlin, senior, said.
Whether people like pancake tacos, pocketed waffles, or none at all, be sure to make the sweetest decision: visit thefielder.org to vote for your favorite.