The Duff provokes thoughts, laughter

Caitlyn McCarthy, Entertainment Editor

The Duff provides a way to have a positive outlook on all the labels that are faced in high school. It is very relatable because at one time or other, most people have felt excluded.

Bianca (Mae Whitman) is known in the movie by her peers as being the Duff in her friend group. Bianca’s friends Jess (Skylar Samuels) and Casey (Bianca Santos) are the prettier and more popular girls.

The label “the duff” means the designated ugly fat friend; however, the movie shows that having that label doesn’t mean that the person is ugly or fat. It just means that they are the more approachable person out of the friend group.

Wesley (Robbie Amell), Bianca’s jock neighbor who looks as if he’s in his 20’s instead of high school, explains how being the Duff works to Bianca, “It’s not like a big deal every friend group has one… if you don’t know who it is, chances are, you are one.”

He is the stereotypical high school jock, but plays the role very convincingly, as do all of the stereotypical characters, such as the “mean girl” Madison (Bella Thorne).

The dialogue between the characters is language that teens use every day, so it is easily understood. If the movie was not written like that, the teens would not take anything from the movie.

After Bianca discovers that she is the duff, and the true meaning behind the label it immediately brings her down and makes her not want to attend homecoming.

Bianca’s newspaper teacher Mr. Arthur (Ken Jeong) assigns Bianca an article about homecoming. Bianca does not want to write the article because it is out of her comfort zone and she is not going to be attending the dance anyway.

Although the teachers had more comical roles throughout the movie, Mr. Arthur does gives Bianca some advice, “The pen is mightier than the sword… make your writing have a positive effect.” Instead of writing all the negative things about homecoming, Bianca is challenged to write an article that will affect the school in a positive matter.

Bianca needs to decide if she will take action on his advice or not.

All the other actors were able to really portray high school students well, although the stereotypes were exaggerated for humor. It was also great to have a different perspective of teachers.

Teenagers will find the humor because it points out actual things students do. For example, two students are seen watching an embarrassing video of Bianca, and they say how they wouldn’t want a video like that of them posted out there, so they immediately decide to post it.

This movie is not recommended for anyone except high schoolers. The context may not be as fully understood or appreciated by older viewers, and it may be inappropriate for younger viewers.

I do however, recommend high school students to see this movie. It offers them a chance to laugh at how ridiculous high school can be. I give this movie a 5 out of 5 stars.