Poll

Best New York Times game?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Polls

How should our school handle homework?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Hallway Music; bop or flop?

Walking out of 2nd period math, your ears are flooded with the notes of past decades most popular hits. Instead of listening however, you pop your headphones in your ears to play something more relevant.   The idea of playing music in the hallways is a good one and is beneficial for students; however, it’s poorly executed. The benefits of music include: lower stress levels, increased learning skills, raise IQ  and academic performance, and it increases overall happiness.   According to southwesternmusictherapy.com, “Listening to music you enjoy decreases levels of the stress hormone cortisol in your body, which counteracts the effects of chronic stress. This is an important finding since stress causes 60% of all our illnesses and disease.”   Listening to music in the hallway will reduce our risk for a number of problems, simply by reducing our stress. The benefits don’t stop there, it also increases students’ willingness to learn.  Doctors at Johns Hopkins have found that listening to music will actually stimulate the brain, causing the active areas to light up on MRI scans. This stimulation causes an eagerness and motivation to learn. (according to healthline.com).  With this new found motivation to learn, students will also feel happiness and pride within themselves as they accomplish more and more in school. Music can only boost this happiness.    According to southwesternmusictherapy.com, “Research proves that when you listen to music you like, your brain releases dopamine, a ‘feel-good’ neurotransmitter.”   The problem is, the  music students like isn’t played during hallway transit. Instead our ears are tormented with songs from before we were born, ones we don’t even know. Occasionally there will be a song we know like Taylor Swift, but for the most part they go unknown.   Instead of subjecting us to this music, staff should open up a recommendation list made by the students. Once filtered through to make sure the music is appropriate, we would then have a playlist the students would enjoy, henceforth increasing overall happiness in our school community.  If teenage music is played inside and outside the classroom, students will sing with joy, all it takes is this minor change.   An anonymous teacher and music enthusiast said, “You’ve got to play music that’s scootin,”.