Poll

Best Studio Ghibli movie?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Polls

What is the best use of summer vacation?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

English books create conflict between students

Students enter the cozy, warm English room where books sit on each desk as the novel unit starts. Students fall asleep as the plot becomes confusing and the language more incomprehensible.
    “Some of the books we read in class have no significance and have boring plots that don’t entertain good morals or endings,” sophomore Jakob Karanosky said.
    Students believe older books with harder language comprehension should be turned over to upperclassmen.
    “While I understand the importance that Shakespeare has to literature, I feel like the old language used is an unnecessary obstacle towards students comprehension of a text, and it would be better if we read more recent books in the freshman and sophomore English classes,” senior Eric Frosch said.
    English teachers try to help students understand novels better by having discussions about the book.
    “I usually help students understand novels in two ways. The first being, even before we start reading, to explain the context of the novel. Why it was written, what was happening in the world at that time, etc., so they start with a base knowledge of where the author is coming from. The second way is doing what I can to tie it into what is happening now, whether through current events, or pop culture, or anything else that will help the students make connections,” English teacher Scott Kupka said.
    However, other students enjoy the novels and believe the books are thoughtfully chosen.
    “Each of them are good, well thought out English novels with interesting stories and helpful lessons,” junior Conner Ibrahim said.
    AP and Honors classes have different views on novels that are chosen to read.
    “There is good merit and reason for the choices, although I have only been in honors & AP classes so I have a different experience,” senior Liam Fitzgerald said.
    There is an attempt being made to implement more modern novels into English class curriculums.
    “I do know that there has been a general effort to get more contemporary literature in each class, and I appreciate that. I know classics are classics for a reason, but it is imperative that the students are exposed to different voices,” Kupka said.
    Teachers hope that students will look back on a book that they read and find enjoyment in reading it.
    It’s always good to experience a new piece of literature, or finding new enjoyment in re-reading a book, such as when I taught Brave New World. I read it in college but didn’t fully appreciate it until I taught it, Kupka said.