Earlier, shorter classes cause stress for students

Aaliyah Solano, Staff Writer

Since school officials adjusted the latest e-learning start times, 7 a.m. has now been the time that students dread. Students have to be in their first class by 7 a.m., and class times have also been reduced to approx. 30 minutes.

For many, the 30 minute class periods have been detrimental to their academics, causing stress and confusion all around for students.

“While 30 minutes is a shorter class period, our teacher advisory group believed they could still cover the most important parts of the curriculum.  It isn’t what everyone is used to, but it really requires teachers to be efficient in their teaching methods,” Superintendent Lane Abrell said.

Some are tired of the fresh change of time already. It has been challenging for students to get used to beginning an hour earlier than the 8 a.m. start time that has been in effect since October.

With the new start time, students aren’t getting enough sleep. The CDC recommends high-schools should start at 8:30 a.m. or later so students get enough sleep. Sleep is essential for teenager’s well-being. Lack of sleep can cause adolescents to become overweight, suffer from depression, engage in unhealthy activities, and perform poorly in school.

“The decision and really the need to move to a 7 a.m. start time for high schools, was due to busing,” Abrell said, “I wish it was different.”

Busing plays a role in why the start times have changed, as the school is getting ready to welcome students back in the building.

The best course of action would be to extend class hours by returning to the schedule of 8 a.m. even if it means paying more for busses. Students’ education is more important than money and being in a building. 

Yes, waking up an hour later sounds much better but the primary issue at hand is the shortened class periods. Students aren’t getting enough time to take in the information that was thrown at them. 

For example, out of the 767 students at Lexington Middle School, 80% of students have already failed in the first 9 weeks of online school. One of the reasons for this is because of the short class periods, and students not being able to take in and understand the subject.

Due to the circumstances the world is actually in, e-learning has been complicated enough, why not make things a little less challenging by adjusting the start times back.