Custodians take pride in keeping school clean

Back to Article
Back to Article

Kevn Codo, custodian,  dumps bags of trash into trash carts each night to have empty cans for the next day.

Kevn Codo, custodian, dumps bags of trash into trash carts each night to have empty cans for the next day.

Jackson Giampa

Jackson Giampa

Jackson Giampa

Jackson Giampa, Staff Writer

“Picture your family has 2,100 children between the ages of 13 and 18, and now you’re responsible for cleaning up the house at the end of every day. That’s what being a custodian is like,” Principal Dave Stephens said.
Every day from 6a.m. to later than 10p.m. the custodial staff are working nonstop to keep the school clean. From cleaning the cafeteria and classrooms to setting up and preparing for events, the custodians are working hard all day, all summer, and all year.
“I would like the students to know the extra time the custodians put in,” Stephens said. “They’re here for everything. It’s the English teacher’s one class and the track coach’s one event, but for the custodians every event is their event as well,plus all of the events outside of the school.”
Every day in the summer, they are on their feet making sure the school is at its best.
“They set things up for the activities so kids can participate in sports,” Assistant Principal Matt Ambrose said. Taxing on both the mind and body, they still feel their hard work is rewarding.
“The most rewarding part is seeing something clean and knowing it’s a job well done,” custodian, Kevin Codo said. “It gives you a good sense of accomplishment.”
However, being a custodian runs deeper than just cleaning or organizing for events. Along with the common stresses, the custodial staff also deals with disrespect and discouragement.
“Although we are respected by most, some do look down on us,” said Codo.
In spite of being underappreciated, the custodians still have compassion, patience, and appreciation for the school.
“I feel good helping even though you don’t get recognized as much, you like you’re contributing to the school in a positive way,” sub custodian, Luke O’Brien said.
“Custodial work is a lot of hard work; there’s a lot of nice people,” head custodian Jeff Pesavento said.
Whether it be an event or a normal school day, there’s always a custodian working hard to help make the school better, cleaner and more welcoming.
“They are essential, the students need to recognize that they are staff members just like teachers or deans, and they do their job to the highest degree,” Ambrose said.