Math tutoring returns

Kailey Blunk, Staff Writer

Math teachers have decided to bring back a former tutoring service that will be held in the library during lunch periods. The program, Math Tutoring Venue, or MTV, was created over 15 years ago, but is now making a comeback as a tutoring option for math and physics classes after a four-year retirement.

Dave Rahtz, math and science divisional chairperson, said that the struggles of students adapting the new Springboard curriculum has influenced the return of MTV.

The math tutoring service will be available in the library every day during lunch periods, along with all-subject tutoring from National Honor Society’s Help Desk on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Allison Wheeler, math teacher, said that since National Honor Society is just two days a week, students would need more help, especially with the introduction of new books.

Students will be able to receive help in all math classes, but Rahtz believes that most students will need help in Algebra Two and Geometry.

“I think MTV is a great option for our school to have.  The extra support that is offered there during the school day will help make students who take advantage of it more successful in their classes,” Lynn Bond, pre-calculus and statistics teacher, said.

Junior Ashely Jesionowski says that she wishes she had access to MTV when she was in Geometry Honors, one of her challenging classes.

Teachers such as Matthew Clark, Lynda Clark, Arlene Morris, Ted Arison, Lynn Bond, Judy Link, Tom Bond, Allison Wheeler, and Jamie Soliman will be offering help in all math courses.

In order to cover the tutors’ study halls, lunch room staff will be pulled to cover those periods.

“We figured out the best way to do it is to leave one less person in the cafeteria,” Rahtz said.

However, with the possibility of staff shortages, administrators are concerned are worried about problems in the cafeteria, especially in the spring. Rahtz said that if there starts to become discipline problems in the cafeteria, they might have to close down the tutoring.

“The switch may be confusing the first day as students find the new classroom, change their routine, and adjust to a new teacher,” L. Bond said. “But after the first day or so they will adapt.”